[nmglug] HDD > SSD

ABQLUG community at abqlug.com
Thu Jun 6 06:57:04 PDT 2019

Hi everyone,

When I went home I had some more time to look at why the /boot partition
wasn't there. TIL

https://askubuntu.com/questions/6490/is-a-boot-partition-necessary-anymore

https://superuser.com/questions/522971/is-a-boot-partition-always-necessary/522998#522998

TL;DR: Some circumstances require separate partitions for swap and/or
/boot, and even gain performance under certain circumstances. However
there is no technical reason for a"normal" system to have separate
partitions.

Likely this was the default setup at some point. Sorry I didn't notice
that the first time. Normally I manually setup the partitions, and have
just added the /boot out of a "legacy" habit.

Regards,

Jared