[nmglug] [ABQLUG] TOPIC: Wine... - Meeting next Tuesday 07/02/2019 at 6:00 PM

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Thu Jun 27 15:49:48 PDT 2019

ABQLUG writes:
> The second meeting for ABQLUG is coming up in less than a week! It's going
[ ... ]
> The main topic will be on how to use Wine and CrossOver for Linux. All the
> way from the basics to how to handle a more complicated application. For a
[ ... ]
> If anyone else would like for me to take a look at seeing if Wine can be
> used with any Windows software, just email me directly and I will give it a
> shot and see if I can include it in the next meetup.

I can't make it to the meeting (too far for me), but if you're
looking for suggestions for programs to try in Wine, how about Adobe
Digital Editions, the program you have to run to check out OverDrive
books from public libraries. An older version used to work with
wine, but not the current version that Overdrive and many online
booksellers require.

I bought Crossover a few years ago, after a Codeweavers rep told me
ADE worked. ADE did work in Crossover, for 4-5 months -- until Adobe
upgraded ADE again and the new version didn't work. When I contacted
Codeweavers they said ADE wasn't a supported app, and I was out of
luck. I was pretty annoyed to have paid for software that turned out
to be only useful for a few months. I know CodeWeavers can't control
Adobe, but the only reason I bought Crossover was that they assured
me ADE worked, and I hadn't realized that meant "but if it ever breaks,
you're on your own, we have no interest in keeping it running."

        ...Akkana