[nmglug] Interesting development re Comcast imap servers

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 24 19:57:53 PDT 2019

Dear NMGLUGers et al,

Some of you may remember my consternation and annoyance over that
situation I had where I could no longer receive email with any Linux
desktop client, most notably Thunderbird, from Comcast imap servers;
where all of the known Comcast imap servers failed for me; where I
eventually discovered a workaround by using the 'canonical' server,
imap.ge.xfinity.com, a server that has never provided a valid security
certificate.

Where only the Xfinity webmail page worked properly.

At the time, all of this generated a considerable amount of interest.
Some of you were exceedingly generous with your suggestions, time and
effort helping me to work through it all.

I'm still working to incorporate all the new understandings I gained as
a result.

Well guess what.  I think I just discovered the proximate cause of the
problem:  our rented Comcast router for which we had been paying for the
privilege of being abused with a for truly embarrassing period of time.

Chalk it up to procrastination and matrimonial politics (aka my own
stupidity.)

Having had the wonderful success of finally figuring out how to set up
Cloudflare DNS on Kubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, and Lubuntu machines (thank you
NMGLUG, especially Anthony B), I decided I wanted to act on the notion
that I should probably try to set up a Pi Hole ad-blocking firewall.
But I knew that I'd first have obtain a third party router in order to
obtain a configurable interface.

So about a month ago I finally purchased and set up our own Netgear unit
and returned the Comcast rental (even though the Netgear unit is a
relatively inexpensive model, it will still take about fifteen months to
recover the cost via savings from ending the Comcast rip-off; thus the
decision was not completely trivial.)

Other than shopping and reading quite a few questionable product
reviews, the whole process was entirely simple and painless.  That alone
should have set me to thinking.

This afternoon while updating a computer that I don't usually keep in
Albuquerque or use online, I noticed that when I opened Thunderbird,
email downloaded instantly.  Which I did not expect because I knew
Thunderbird was still configured for imap.comcast.net.

Hmm.  What if I set my other computer back from imap.ge.xfinity.com to
imap.comcast.net?  Lo and behold imap.comcast.net now works just fine.

I conclude that our rented Comcast modem-router with the default
crippled interface had, unknown to me and against my wishes, been
configured as a firewall against the use of desktop Linux mail clients.

At least that appears to be the case here in Albuquerque.

Any new I-told-you-sos or similar tales of woe out there?

Tom in Albuquerque