[nmglug] online chat systems like IRC and slack

jason schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Fri May 3 15:56:32 PDT 2019

> I'd like to set something up for my students who work with me, a bit
> like what people have when they use IRC (which after more than 20 years
> I still don't grok) and slack (which is proprietary).

There are so many factors and details to dive into with a project like
this. Its also very difficult when students have preconceived ideas of
what a "normal" platform of communication is.  The first thing that
comes to my mind is Nextcloud. It is extremely robust in its core
features and with all the add-ons available its extremely flexible not
to mention modern. I'll send you a login to my install so you can poke
around.