[nmglug] Meeting? Website down? No GUI

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Mon May 13 17:58:45 PDT 2019

Thanks for the help. Since I wrote this I have done a clean install to
18.04 and things are mostly fine. I do have some weird shutdown, boot
and reboot issues but am working around them. Essentially the laptop
never shuts down but just shows a splash screen until I hard power it
off, boots into the newest kernel which does not work graphically so I
boot and choose a kernel that works. Not much older but older enough to
work. No reboot at all as there is no clean shutdown to restart from and
in any case it would boot into the kernel that is graphically an issue.
I've gotten some good advice from the GLUGgers up here but haven't
implemented them yet. Oh, the Bios shows the drives, including my SSD,
but also a choice that is my user name only. It pops up to the top even
after I change the order to boot from the SSD first. I've never seen a
user name as a boot device.

I will hopefully get around to this soon, with the advice I've gotten.
Just don't want to gum up the works!

Many thanks,

Brian