[nmglug] dist-update w/o upgrading Firefox

ABQLUG community at abqlug.com
Mon May 27 13:40:56 PDT 2019

Hi Brian and the rest of the mailing list:

Aptitude is basically a frontend (also provides different features) for
the apt structure, so you can run that same command with apt, if you
wanted to.

~$ sudo apt hold firefox-esr

HOWEVER, for your use-case I would probably approach this differently.

Since you want to stick to a super old version for add-on compatiability
reasons, I would probably just install the .deb file for firefox esr
52.9. This should help freeze firefox without having to hold anything.
Though the thought of running a year old firefox just makes me cringe.

Which add-on isn't compatible?

Here is how to install firefox esr 52.9 from the .deb files. Keep in
mind I don't include any troubleshooting tips, so if you run into
problems, then you will want to let me (or the mailing-list) know. Also,
I tested this on KDE Neon (18.04)

Step Zero: Download everything that you need.

Firefox ESR 52.9:
https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+archive/ubuntu/firefox-esr/+build/15059457/+files/firefox-esr_52.9.0esr-1~14.04.york0_amd64.deb
libevent-2.0-5:
http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libe/libevent/libevent-2.0-5_2.0.21-stable-2ubuntu0.16.04.1_amd64.deb
libhunspell-1.3-0:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/h/hunspell/libhunspell-1.3-0_1.3.3-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb
libjsoncpp0:
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libj/libjsoncpp/libjsoncpp0_0.6.0~rc2-3.1_amd64.deb
libvpx3:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/libv/libvpx/libvpx3_1.5.0-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Here is how you can easily download this in the terminal. Copy and paste
the whole line:

    mkdir firefox-esr_52-9_all-deb ; cd firefox-esr_52-9_all-deb ; wget
    https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+archive/ubuntu/firefox-esr/+build/15059457/+files/firefox-esr_52.9.0esr-1~14.04.york0_amd64.deb
    http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libe/libevent/libevent-2.0-5_2.0.21-stable-2ubuntu0.16.04.1_amd64.deb
    http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/h/hunspell/libhunspell-1.3-0_1.3.3-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libj/libjsoncpp/libjsoncpp0_0.6.0~rc2-3.1_amd64.deb
    http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/main/libv/libvpx/libvpx3_1.5.0-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb

Step 1: remove firefox (without removing your existing profile).

    sudo apt remove firefox* iceweasel*

Step 1.5: If you receive this error, dpkg-divert: error: 'diversion of
/usr/bin/firefox to /usr/bin/firefox.real by firefox-esr' clashes with
'diversion of /usr/bin/firefox to /usr/bin/_neon.firefox by neon-settings'
Then run this:

    sudo dpkg-divert --remove /usr/bin/firefox

Step 2: change directories and install firefox-esr with the dependencies

    sudo dpkg -i lib* firefox-esr_52.9.0esr-1~14.04.york0_amd64.deb

At this point you should be able to use firefox ESR 52.9.

I reached out to the IRC channel #newbies on irc.mozilla.org and no one
replied to me, so that PPA is the only place I was able to download the
.deb file.

You can compile from source, however, I think you still need the other 4
libs.
Link to the source files,
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/linux-x86_64/en-US/firefox-52.9.0esr.tar.bz2

Also, I wrote a blog post on this.