[nmglug] Can anyone suggest an audio recorder?

LeRoy Diener leroy at choosetherightside.com
Mon Nov 25 09:18:23 PST 2019

Hi NMGLUG folks,

answers to your questions:
I am using Debian GNU/Linux 9.11 (stretch).
I managed to get Kdenlive installed with help from Jason.
I just installed Audacity from my repository by using the "Software" GUI.

Why do you suggest .wav as a file format to import into kdenlive?
My plan is mostly to edit videos which are recorded on a phone or camera.
I did not find any way to record a voiceover in kdenlive.
I did some successful testing using audacity and kdenlive.

Here's what I did in testing: In audacity, I recorded my voice, clicked on
File > Export Audio, in the Export Audio Dialog box, mp3 was the default. I
selected folder and filename, and I clicked save. In kdenlive, I added a
video which I had recorded on my phone and copied to my hard drive, my
voiceover.mp3 and music.mp3. I dragged all 3 onto the timeline, clicked
Project > Render. In the Rendering dialog box, I selected mp4, selected
folder and filename, and I clicked Render to File.
The successful test produced a .mp4 file which has the video, the voiceover
and the music all superimposed exactly as I put them on the kdenlive
timeline.

It seems that I have proof of concept. I am grateful to all of you who have
helped me to get to this point.
I consider myself now a total novice with kdenlive and audacity.
Any suggestions?

LeRoy
--
I am the Love of God, no matter what.