[nmglug] Can anyone suggest an audio recorder?

ABQLUG community at abqlug.com
Fri Nov 29 14:24:59 PST 2019

Sorry it took so long to get back to you LeRoy.

When I am recording audio, I try to record in a lossless format. WAV
formatted audio is a perfect example of a lossless audio format. MP3,
AAC, WMA are all lossy formats. The difference between the two (lossless
vs lossy) is that lossless can be transcoded over and over (as long as
it's lossless -> lossless) and will not lose quality. Once an audio file
has been transcoded to a lossy format, you start to lose audio quality.

Although most users won't notice too big of a difference, its usually
best to master your content in a lossless format until you are finished
mastering your content.

This can easily compared to images. The two most common image formats
are jpg and png. Jpgs are lossy formats, while pngs are lossless. Though
lossless will be bigger in size, you usually have better results in
quality.

Though if you are worried about quality, having a decent microphone is
usually the best thing you can do first. Second is to make sure you have
a noise-damped room to record in. Then I would worry about if you are
recording in lossless or a lossy format. Since you are recording on the
phone, I would probably look at recording audio directly into audacity
using a USB microphone.

This is the one I've seen recommended as a beginner into recording
audio. Though I have not personally owned or seen it in person:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXL3EOU

It kind of comes down to the environment you are recording in. If you
need to isolate sounds from the keyboard or movement on the desk, then
you probably need a better stand and sound dampening. You could easily
spend too much, so I would probably start with that first microphone and
return it if you need to upgrade it.

Would you be willing to share the content you created? I can probably
give you some pointers.

Regards,

Jared