[nmglug] System Requirements;

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 15:35:34 PST 2020

NMGLugers, What do you consider system requirements in 2020? I recently had
a personal lapse in common sense by trying to upgrade ram in an older Asus
EEE. It was pointless. Negligible change in performance. I had a feeling I
was wasting my time, but I "had to try." Really not worth the effort. And I
repeated a similar effort on an older laptop last week.
So, I ask you to think about what are the System Requirements for an
adequately performing laptop? Processor- Hard drive- Memory- Ports-
Accessories?
I have some ideas  and will share them when we meet next week or if there
is interest here. I think we can encourage wider adoption of Gnu/Linux by
clearly advising newcomers and thinking clearly ourselves about not just
keeping an older machine alive, but really enabling new users to take
advantage of the great software we love. Free Software is great for all the
things people do with a computer and we can help them see it if we think
about what truly works.
Thank you, Ted P.