[nmglug] System Requirements;

ABQLUG community at abqlug.com
Thu Feb 6 18:06:16 PST 2020

In general I suggest getting a new laptop if you are on the 2nd core
generation (Sandy Bridge) or older. If you are on a Celeron or Pentium
and it isn't a recent generation, I wouldn't even bother upgrading the
cpu, let alone ram.

If you decide to go with AMD, you will want a Ryzen, nothing older.

I typically try to get people to buy some of the used ~$400 ThinkPads
on ebay. You can get a used skylake laptop for a pretty decent price.
Though if you are a keyboard snob, then you might want to research a bit
to find a proper keyboard.

If you are wanting to upgrade a desktop, they sell some pretty low
priced used cpus that might be worth it. The older desktop cpus had much
better performance than the laptop cpus, at least back in the day.

I usually try to not suggest throwing newbies on older machines with
Linux. Sometimes people think that Linux is slow, when it's just their
POS machine.

Jared