[nmglug] System Requirements;

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Fri Feb 7 07:51:47 PST 2020

Ted Pomeroy writes:
> NMGLugers & Jared, Thank you. Yes, an adequate CPU and about 8 GB ram seem
> required these days as the Internet has more embedded video and scripts of

It really depends on what you do and what desktop environment you
prefer. My last laptop is a Celeron from about 2015 with 2G RAM
(it cost less than $200 when it was new, and came with Linux).
It's still quite usable and responsive with a lightweight
window manager (Openbox). Firefox takes a while to start up but
runs fine once it's up; same with programs like LibreOffice and
qgis. Just don't run a big desktop and don't try to run several
big programs at once.

That might be the limit, though. I've tried to install Linux on
a few older machines with <2G and that doesn't seem to be enough to
run a modern browser without big lags -- presumably swapping.
We have several Raspberry Pi 3 workstations at Los Alamos Makers
(1Gb) and they work okay for learning programming languages like
Python and Scratch and Arduino, but the browser (I think they use
chromium) is quite laggy.

        ...Akkana