[nmglug] System Requirements;

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 07:32:34 PST 2020

NMGLugers & Jared, Thank you. Yes, an adequate CPU and about 8 GB ram seem
required these days as the Internet has more embedded video and scripts of
too many kinds. Also, our expectations for speed have grown with the use of
cellphones. I think bargains can be found at the $200 level of used
computers, though maybe my "Hobbyist" approach is start with an inadequate
machine and build it up in steps by adding ram and proper hard drive, etc.
Some newer laptops are omitting the accessible hatches for this though,
even batteries now encased inside for a complete tear down to get at them.
I am aware of the need to know about the CPU and lshw as root can show me
what a CPU can do. I encountered a "Bay Trail" (tm) CPU that can only read
one slot of ram. So I had to locate a single 8 GB piece. The characteristic
of the CPU explained the absence of the second slot inside. And since it
cannot do hyper threading it lacks some of the speed of better processors.
Thank you for the input. Ted P.