[nmglug] PureOS; Re: Things to do to fill the day

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 30 20:02:38 PDT 2020

Hey folks,

Brian's email got me curious about trying PureOS.  I'm a sucker for
trying any distro with a clean Gnome desktop, wallpaper with a pretty
mountain range and a reputation for integrity.  I thought after all my
blather about installing to USB sticks I ought to give it a whirl
myself.  Which I did with unfortunately rather disappointing results.

The iso checksum checked out and Etcher cooked up an install drive/"live
USB" just fine from both Kubuntu directly and also a Windows 10 VM in
Virtual Box on the same machine.  Moreover, Etcher claims a proper
validation in each.  But the installed PureOS demo system fails to see
the WiFi adapter in my HP-Notebook (maybe three years old) and has
problems with detecting the correct display settings of my Toshiba
Satellite L505 (maybe ten or eleven years old).  It does see WiFi on the
L505 but does not properly accept the password and actually connect.
Ethernet is not an option for me right now.

I expect this is a firmware issue with the proper free drivers just not
being available or something, but the website Bug tracker thus far turns
up nothing useful, and under the Troubleshooting section (last updated
131 days ago) there is only one item under Networking--which does not
apply.

I'm not saying I think PureOS is a dysfunctional project or not
worthwhile, but I do wonder if for most people in the real world it's
worth spending much time on as a primary stand-alone system (that is,
not a virtual machine).

I'd be interested to know if anyone tries it out and has better results,
a different perspective, etc.

Tom