[nmglug] Tinfoil hat time again: more Comcast paranoia

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 31 16:51:28 PDT 2020

I think this is not coincidence and should probably make everyone on
nmglug at lists.nmglug.org angry.

Today through my Comcast email account I received a couple emails re
Kingston DTL+ USB via the nmglug listserv.  That's fine.  I LIKE email
from nmglug.

What I definitely DON'T like is getting this associated email as a
consequence:

     From:  news at e.benidata.com  (arrived 3:02 pm today)

     Subject:  ⚡See Today's Deal of the Day -- Act Fast!  $4.95 Kingston
16GB Micro     SD Class 10

The operative common term being 'Kingston'.  Out of the blue. Three in
one day.  Out a total of six emails for the day.

I have never had any known relationship with benidata.com and I would
certainly have deliberately and promptly declined to receive any sales
or marketing information from them if I did.  And of course I did
promptly unsubscribe for further emails from them though I had never
knowingly subscribed in the first place.

I use only DuckDuckGo for searching.  I have Firefox locked down with
privacy Addons every which way from Sunday.  DoH network setting, strict
tracking protection settings, NoScript, Ublock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere,
Privacy Badger, Decentraleyes, Facebook Container--I don't even use
Facebook, it's there just in case I change my mind!

I virtually never see or hear any adds that aren't embedded directly in
streaming podcast or YouTube content (can't figure out how to get rid of
that except not to stream.)

Almost all of my few online purchases come through eBay and Amazon whom
I haven't dealt with for more than a month.  No storage media for more
than a year.  Almost all my emails are personal or related to specific
non-commercially oriented subject matter from people or groups who are
not commercial entities.

A couple of years ago when I got rid of our Comcast
wifi-cable-modem-router I went through all the contractual crap and
opted out everything related to marketing that we still might be exposed
to that I could find.  Set up the new purchased wifi-cable-modem-router
for Cloudflare DNS.

Yet some months ago when I searched around for products related to solar
panels, shortly thereafter Xfinity sends me email adds trying to sell me
on their own branded rooftop PV electric scam.

A couple weeks ago I was shopping for insurance.  First time in years.
Suddenly Xfinity emails me and wants to sell me their own branded BS
home, pipes and appliance insurance because of the extra strain Covid is
placing on them.  Never had other adds for insurance other than the most
rare and minimal for services from carriers we already had relationships
with.

Now I have this unsolicited add for Kingston storage devices.

All too isolated as a class of events and too closely related in subject
matter and time to be purely random and unconnected.

I think Comcast/Xfinity or some data-broker entity closely associated
with them is mining my email account pretty directly.