[nmglug] Freezing

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Sat Jun 6 13:21:47 PDT 2020

Hi All,

My Asus laptop has been freezing up for no reason that I could think of.
I found out my swap partition is 2GB and this person solved it by
increasing the swap partition to 16GB. I'm reluctant to start messing
with partitions, though I have at times, w/o one of you brainiacs look
at the procedure. If anyone can look this over I'd appreciate it but no
obligations.

Stay safe!

Brian

0
<https://askubuntu.com/posts/1242975/timeline>

yes Ubuntu 20.04 hangs freeze although I have 8 GB of Ram and i7

I could temporary fix this issue in my side, by expanding swap partition
from 2 GB to 16 GB

I am not sure but I think there is problem in Ubuntu 20.04 memory
management, here in my side it keep consuming memory, then when both
memory and swap are full, the computer start to freeze and hang

the solution steps are:

1- check the amount of swap you have

|grep SwapTotal /proc/meminfo |

2-turn off the swap process

|sudo swapoff -a |

3-resize the swap(in my case i expand it to 16 gb)

|sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1G count=16 |

4- attach the swap to partition

|sudo mkswap /swapfile |

5- activate swap(enable it)

|sudo swapon /swapfile |