[nmglug] Freezing

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Jun 7 10:07:06 PDT 2020

Brian O'Keefe writes:
>    I am loathe to increase the swap memory when it doesn't appear to be a
>    problem according to System Monitor.

This. I've seen a lot of discussion about swap, but if there was any
evidence that swap was the problem, I missed it. If adding swap is
going to be this hard, maybe put the effort instead into diagnosing
why the system is freezing?

For instance, do you know if it's X or the kernel that's freezing?
It would be interesting to try to ssh in from another machine,
to see if maybe the machine is up but X is locked.

Diagnosing a freeze isn't all that easy, because of course if the
kernel is hung, then the system has no way to note what went wrong.
But sometimes you can find out what was happening just before it
froze. Here's a Google search that gives some starting points:

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=diagnose+why+linux+freezing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

        ...Akkana