[nmglug] Freezing

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Sun Jun 7 08:34:14 PDT 2020

Thanks again Ted,

I looked for /boot/efi and there is a directory with many files. Below
is how I got there. In the screenshot you can see Swap is using very
little memory when I use my machine normally. The second screenshot
shows the directory /etc/boot on the disk /de/sda1 and the linux file
system on /dev/sda2. gparted has only two partitions (see below from
gparted). So the question begs how swap memory is an issue at all?
Here's the output of my digging for swap and not finding it in the
directory as shown below, /etc/boot. I also found an ubuntu directory
and listed the files. Again other than grub the results are Greek to me!

:/boot/efi/EFI# ls
BOOT  ubuntu
root at brian-VivoBook-ASUS-Laptop-X505ZA-F505ZA:/boot/efi/EFI# cd ubuntu
root at brian-VivoBook-ASUS-Laptop-X505ZA-F505ZA:/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu# ls
BOOTX64.CSV  grub.cfg  grubx64.efi  mmx64.efi  shimx64.efi

I am loathe to increase the swap memory when it doesn't appear to be a
problem according to System Monitor. Anyway, here are my search results
to find /etc/boot.

/home/brian# cd /boot
root at brian:/boot# ls
config-5.3.0-55-generic      memtest86+.elf
config-5.4.0-33-generic      memtest86+_multiboot.bin
efi                          System.map-5.3.0-55-generic
grub                         System.map-5.4.0-33-generic
initrd.img                   vmlinuz
initrd.img-5.3.0-55-generic  vmlinuz-5.3.0-55-generic
initrd.img-5.4.0-33-generic  vmlinuz-5.4.0-33-generic
initrd.img.old               vmlinuz.old
memtest86+.bin
root at brian:/boot# cd efi
root at brian:/boot/efi# ls
EFI
root at brian:/boot/efi# cd EFI
root at brian:/boot/efi/EFI# ls
BOOT  ubuntu
root at brian:/boot/efi/EFI# cd BOOT
root at brian:/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT# ls
BOOTX64.EFI  fbx64.efi  mmx64.efi

root at brian:/boot/efi/EFI/BOOT# cd /boot/efi/EFI
root at brian:/boot/efi/EFI# ls
BOOT  ubuntu
root at brian:/boot/efi/EFI# cd ubuntu
root at brian:/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu# ls
BOOTX64.CSV  grub.cfg  grubx64.efi  mmx64.efi  shimx64.efi

Again, many thanks.

Brian

PS: this is not a serious issue as I can do a hard shutdown and boot up
again. Next time I'm hopefully going to be doing nothing important and I
can just walk away and see if the machine un-freezes. I'll let you know
if I go that route and the results.