[nmglug] WHAT THE HAY, aBACKUP.

Geoff Chesshire geoff at newmexico.com
Sun Oct 11 21:43:46 PDT 2020

Hi Anthony,

You can copy any one of the files like
/media/a/aBackup/alpha.13/alap/home/a/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh over into
/home/a/bin/ as these are all identical backup copies of the same file.
Then after plugging in your external backup drive, you can run
/home/a/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh (with no "." at the beginning) in a
terminal to make a new backup.  Just be patient to let it finish.

Thanks,
Geoff Chesshire

On 10/11/20 8:27 PM, a wrote:
> Hi Geoff.
> /home/a/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh (Does not exist). Manual: suggests the
> program be run from terminal. Woould the following commend correct
> ./home/a/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh Any suggestions?
> Thanks,a
>
> a at alap:~$ sudo find / -name rsnapshotBackup.sh
> /home/a/.local/share/Trash/files/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh
> find: ‘/run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied
>
> On 10/11/20 1:20 PM, Geoff Chesshire wrote:
>> Hi Anthony,
>>
>> I remember when Jason wrote the script in /home/a/bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh
>> that runs the rsnapshot backup commands.  We were with you either at the
>> second street brewery or in our office.  I think you had to leave before
>> the script could be thoroughly tested. It could possibly be improved,
>> but it should work.
>>
>> The directory aBackup/ should exist on your external backup drive, so
>> that when you plug it into the USB port, it gets mounted at
>> /media/a/aBackup/ ... Then the backup script may be used to run the
>> (well-documented) rsnapshot utility to back up your home directory onto
>> your external backup drive.  Obviously this works only if the external
>> backup drive is plugged into the USB port.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Geoff Chesshire
>>
>> On 10/11/20 12:58 PM, a wrote:
>>> /bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh
>>>
>>> The referenced trash item, /bin/rsnapshotBackup.sh was last accessed
>>> july 19 (in properties) the same date of my last backup file #20 what
>>> do you think put it in the file system and let it rip? The numbered
>>> files13-17  i imagine identify the previous backup up numbered files
>>> corresponding to that on the external drive,i haven't checked if the
>>> external referenced files have content (aside: my backup up external
>>> disk was connected to the computer,relevant?). the  presenting problem
>>> manifested by an intermediate "file" flashing on for a fractional
>>> second. i have restored the original icon when i initially copied the
>>> icon content it contained:  /rsnapshotBackup.sh that same code
>>> content. what I find missing is the parapathetic flash then disapear
>>> page. which when pressing a small bar which then began the external