[nmglug] Realtek wifi firmware bug;

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 14:26:57 PDT 2020

NMGLugers, I was having some trouble with my wifi on a laptop with a
Realtek rtk8188ee wifi card. My install media, with kernel 5.4.0-26 would
see and set up the card, but updates to the kernel deactivated the wifi. I
learned how to select the earlier kernel on boot, but was still wondering
what the issue was. One online post, I forget where, identified it as a
function of the method of checking the WPA/WPA2 authentication. I tried
adding dkms and some of the realtek parts for that. A mistake.
Today I found an article at arstechnica.com:
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwii17Tgm9jsAhUJobMKHce0DYQYABADGgJxbg&sig=AOD64_2TidbJSsZouIJm6B2clX3uV1vRLw&adurl=&q=&nb=0&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Finformation-technology%2F&nm=13&nx=306&ny=13&is=1112x595
This article identifies the issue as a bug that leaves the card open to
local exploitation, by someone within wifi range who could cause a buffer
overflow without the user being aware. I am guessing that the updates
deactivate the card to prevent this.
In the meantime I have ordered an Atheros card to replace the Realtek card.
I will be able to switch to the latest kernel once the new card is
installed.
Thank you, Ted P