[nmglug] Favorite Shell?

ABQLUG community at abqlug.com
Mon Sep 28 13:00:06 PDT 2020

After hearing on the recent Destination Linux episode, i gave fish a try too.I've been using fish for about a month now. It is really nice to use as a lot of things I spend time on adding/changing to Bash I end up having as default with fish.I added some things like history searching with the PageUp/PageDown buttons, and history saving after each command. But I really like how smart the tab-completion is.I started using it on some of my production servers to save time when I am working. Though fish scripts are a bit different from bash scripts. So it's not exactly a drop in replacement.I say try it out unless you are using bash scripts and are too lazy to type "bash <script name>"~ Jared
-------- Original message --------From: Paul <pahool at gmail.com> Date: 9/28/20  11:01 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: "NMGLUG.org mailing list" <nmglug at lists.nmglug.org> Subject: Re: [nmglug] Favorite Shell? I've just found I've defaulted to bash for the same reason I default to vim as a text editor: ubiquity. But I keep meaning to spend a month using fish as my default to get used to it. It seems to have a lot of cool features. Isn't Kali Linux now shipping zsh as the default shell?On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 10:28 AM William Pearson <riffraffdj at gmail.com> wrote:So, been trying out Fish and been enjoying it so far. Got me wondering what people's favorite Shell is and why?Will