[nmglug] Favorite Shell?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Sep 28 14:41:57 PDT 2020

William Pearson writes:
> So, been trying out Fish and been enjoying it so far. Got me wondering what
> people's favorite Shell is and why?

I've been using zsh for maybe six years. Before that I used tcsh.
I never used bash much; it had some showstopper problems for me,
like randomly zeroing out items in the history.

Fish wasn't on my radar before this discussion, but now I'm curious
and will read up on it. Looks like there are a lot of documents
where people debate fish vs. zsh, which I will read.

Anyone know anything about the fish community? One thing I like
about zsh is that if I have an esoteric question (doesn't happen
often but has happened a few times), there's an IRC channel #zsh
full of helpful experts.

I have a ridiculously long .zshrc full of aliases and shell
functions, but probably much of it would also work in fish.

Jared writes:
> history searching with the PageUp/PageDown buttons, and history
> saving after each command. But I really like how smart the
> tab-completion is.I started using it on some of my production
> servers to save time when I am working. Though fish scripts are a

The zsh smart completion is sometimes wonderful. And sometimes it
saves me from mistyping a command -- for instance, if I type
git commit -m xyz<tab> trying to autocomplete a filename, and
zsh is smart enough to know that -m shouldn't have a filename
after it, and saves me from making a bad commit.

On the other hand, some of the completion rules (like for adb) are
broken, so I override them in my .zshrc.

        ...Akkana