[nmglug] rstudio follow up

Jonathan Haack jonathan at jonathanhaack.com
Fri Apr 2 16:47:05 PST 2021

Art,

Thanks for the rstudio tutorial last night.  If anyone is interested,
"rstudio server" (not merely the IDE) is also designed to be public
facing IDE in a web browser behind TLS.  All you need to do is configure
apache to use a reverse proxy in the virtual host configuration files,
the rest is pretty easy.  If anyone is interested, I have a tutorial
here which steps you through the setup:
https://wiki.haacksnetworking.com/doku.php?id=computing:rstudio - I also
link to the two virtual host configurations that I made (adapted from
some gitlab recipes I contributed to which also require apache reverse
proxies).  I personally use port 8787 because I have a gitlab repo
currently using 8181, but this can be changed.  You can also optionally
reverse proxy to a distinct device, or /backend server /while keeping
the primary server as a gateway, but I just use localhost for both since
my machine is personal use and there are no load issues to be concerned
with.

My instance is here: https://rstudio.jonathanhaack.com//auth-sign-in? -
sorry, no testing lol, but you can at least see the front end in the
wild lol.

The purpose for the web browser rstudio is that you can dedicate one
strong machine to do all of your calculations and store all your
configurations, etc., and then work on those directly/remotely over TLS
when off-site and/or for presentations one might do with rstudio.
Another advantage is that your daily driving  . tinkering on your
desktop won't crash your working environment for your rstudio
calculations.  Currently using rstudio and r to do ECLSK analysis
between NM students and national peers.

Apache reverse proxies information:
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/reverse_proxy.html

Rstudio server: https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download-server/

Thanks again Art, and hope some people find this interesting or useful,

Jonathan Haack

On 4/1/21 3:20 PM, Ted Pomeroy wrote:
> NMGLUgers, tonight we switch to this alternate Thursday. The Virtual
> meeting is on, Virtual <https://meet.jit.si/nmglug>; this does not
> prevent any sub-groups from gathering as they may prefer.
> Our topic is "Replace Excel with RStudio" presented by Art B. So join
> us and here why this might work and feel free to opine on useful
> spreadsheet applications, but with a broader view after we hear from Art.
> See you later. Thank you, Ted P.

*Jonathan Haack*
Haack's Networking
phone: 505-310-6638