[nmglug] Advice, please, for selecting modem and router

Jerred Weingarten digitaldragonfly at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 15:08:30 PDT 2021

I have a Netgear C3700-100NAS. It is ok. I bought mine used. It was pretty
inexpensive. I see them for $30 or less, used on Ebay. They claim they
support up to 600Mbs on the WAN side.

I haven't used the wireless on the C3700-100NAS. I don't use many advanced
features on the router. As I run a secondary router behind it. Still it
seems like a decent unit for the price.

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 1:50 PM LeRoy Diener <leroy at choosetherightside.com>
wrote:

> Hi NMGLUG folks,
>
> I'm looking to get a modem and router.
> Since I'll use Cox as ISP, the equipment will need to be compatible with
> Cox.
> Cox will provide a combined modem/router for $12/mo. I'm thinking it will
> be more cost-effective to get my own modem and router.
> First, I could get a combo, but I think it's best to get them separately.
> Cox told me that any DOCSIS 3.0 or better modem will be compatible, but
> I'm not sure.
>
> Here's what I found so far:
>
> https://www.cabletv.com/blog/best-modem-for-cox suggests
> the MOTOROLA MB7420 modem $58
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H44UJF0/
> and the TP-Link AC1200 router $40
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1L5HX1/
>

> https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/get-the-best-cable-modem-buy-or-rent-from-your-isp
> suggests
> the Netgear CM500 modem $44
> https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-CM500-1AZNAS-download-Certified-Cablevision/dp/B06XH46MWW
> and pricier routers https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-wireless-routers
>
> Ideas?
> Thanks in advance,
> LeRoy
> --
> There is something glorious birthing within all of us. (New for 2021)
> I am the Love of God, no matter what.
> LeRoy Diener
> 213-LEROYIZ
> 213-537-6949
> www.leroydiener.com/

Jerred Weingarten

"Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely
unintentional side effect."
Linus Torvalds, September 28, 2003