[nmglug] Bullseye;

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 10:10:07 PDT 2021

NMGLUGers,  in answering Leroy:
 I am just now reading the release notes thoroughly. In the main my Xfce
desktop is the same, with new artwork, an empty "Favorites" section of the
app menu that I am adding to, and some settings set to the new defaults
that I am re-tweaking. I have purged 'quodlibet' and 'exfalso' and
installed 'audacious' and 'streamtuner2': this to get music streams from
the Internet.
Importantly there is a syntax change in the Debian security line in
/etc/apt/sources.list. This is explained in the release notes on the Debian
wiki website
<https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/armel/release-notes/ch-information.en.html>,
and is due to apt syntax symbols.
As I have only had two days to explore and use the 32 bit laptop I cannot
give a wider view just yet. I did find that there are some special versions
of the installer and some unofficial versions include some firmware blobs
for hardware not covered by free drivers. I had decided to give up on
32-bit computing, but as Debian supports it, I will do some more exploring
on this. However, I have an even older laptop running Buster and since
there is about a year of support I will let it be and discard it or pass it
on at the end of a year if not sooner. The slowness of these machines and
lack ability to play streaming video makes them subpar for even an average
user.
Still it is fun to explore and I am happy with the upgrade so far. Thank
you, Ted P