[nmglug] Bullseye;

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 14:47:39 PDT 2021

NMGLUGers and Leroy, Right. Printing. The release notes indicate progress
on printing without the need for proprietary firmware for particular
printers. I have long preferred HP printers as HP was much more forthcoming
with firmware. The section (for AMD64 architecture) on printing is Here.
<https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#driverless-operation>
The goal of driverless printing and better interoperability seems to have
been reached. This is covered in the "What's New" section and I believe is
similar across all architectures. I don't print too often and I do not have
any problematic printers or scanners, so I cannot give any firsthand report
on this. Still, the progress is good news and I hope somebody will be able
to give us a report sometime this year.
Anyway I remain very happy with the upgrade and first steps with Bullseye.
Thank you, Ted P