[nmglug] Proposed presentation for Feb 11 - Deduplicating backup & binary version control

Art Barnes art at pin2.io
Thu Jan 14 19:54:37 PST 2021

Hi,

Pleased to meet everyone. Given that most folks have a sysadmin-ish background I was thinking to do a presentation split between deduplicating backup software and version control for (large) binary files. Let me know if this works for folks.

Deduplicating backup software includes the likes of Borg, Restic and the horribly named Duplicacy. This is the current state-of-the-art in backup and makes efficient use of disk space while giving more flexibility in pruning old backups compared to backup software based on differential/incremental snapshots. I was thinking to give an overview of how Borg/Restic/Duplicacy stack against each other, the concepts behind how they work, and an example of using one of them.

My current personal project https://github.com/akbarnes/dupver is a deduplicating version control system that I started at the beginning of the pandemic. I deal a lot with binary files that have a lot of structure like Sqlite databases and was lacking for a good way to keep track of versions. I’m thinking to give an overview of the design behind it along with a usage example. Warning! It’s an ambitious project at alpha-level quality.

Finally – throwing out an idea for a future presentation if someone wants to take it on. Gopher has been making a comeback along with its younger brother Gemini. I’m old enough to miss the old days of forum culture and quirky hobbyist websites. This along with the tildeverse scratches my nostalgia itch pretty hard. Maybe someone is familiar with setting up a Gemini server?

Cheers,
-Art