[nmglug] Proposed presentation for Feb 11 - Deduplicating backup & binary version control

s at mnoble.net s at mnoble.net
Fri Jan 15 09:25:12 PST 2021

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 08:54:37PM -0700, Art Barnes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pleased to meet everyone.

Nice to meet you too Art. And thanks for offering to do (any)
presentation. At least among those present last night, I think there's
consensus that virtual glug meetings would benefit from a bit more
structure.

> Given that most folks have a sysadmin-ish background I was thinking to
> do a presentation split between deduplicating backup software and
> version control for (large) binary files. Let me know if this works
> for folks.
>
> Deduplicating backup software includes the likes of Borg, Restic and
> the horribly named Duplicacy. This is the current state-of-the-art in
> backup and makes efficient use of disk space while giving more
> flexibility in pruning old backups compared to backup software based
> on differential/incremental snapshots. I was thinking to give an
> overview of how Borg/Restic/Duplicacy stack against each other, the
> concepts behind how they work, and an example of using one of them.

This sounds great to me Art, I imagine a lot of us have problem sets
like a mixed use home nas that has both "important documents" and a
media library.

> My current personal project https://github.com/akbarnes/dupver is a
> deduplicating version control system that I started at the beginning
> of the pandemic. I deal a lot with binary files that have a lot of
> structure like Sqlite databases and was lacking for a good way to keep
> track of versions. I’m thinking to give an overview of the design
> behind it along with a usage example. Warning! It’s an ambitious
> project at alpha-level quality.
>
> Finally – throwing out an idea for a future presentation if someone
> wants to take it on. Gopher has been making a comeback along with its
> younger brother Gemini. I’m old enough to miss the old days of forum
> culture and quirky hobbyist websites. This along with the tildeverse
> scratches my nostalgia itch pretty hard. Maybe someone is familiar
> with setting up a Gemini server?

Oh good instinct to seed future talks. I've no history with gopher
myself but anything that smells that much like unix grey-beards has to
be worth our time!

--
sam