[nmglug] two bootable OSes on one SSD?

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Fri Jan 15 14:18:33 PST 2021

Hello all,

I hope everyone is safe and secure these days. This weekend promises to
be eventful one way or another so I'm holding on to the seat with both
hands!

I have an Asus laptop with a 256GiB SSD. I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on it
and all is fine except for my own screw-ups, mostly. After I installed
the OS I copied over from the 1TB drive I had been using. I only copied
what I needed or used frequently, leaving the remaining data on the 1TB
drive. Now I'm wondering if there is a way to partition the 1 TB drive
so I have its existing bootable Ubuntu and cloning my currently used,
the 20.04 OS at about 200GiB full, onto the 1TB drive in a new, bootable
partition. Then I would choose which to boot if I want to use them for
separate work. Also could I access the data from one partition to the
other in use? I currently can either boot the 1TB disc from a USB
connection or just mount it as a storage device and get the info I want
from it. At the same time I could grow the 256GiB partition to 512GiB
and have all the storage I need.

Just a thought but intriguing and especially as I watch my remaining
disc capacity on the 256GiB drive slowly shrink.

Many thanks folks and I wish all the best for this year and this weekend!

Brian