[nmglug] yt-dlp updating working on one debian, but not another

LeRoy Diener leroy at choosetherightside.com
Wed Aug 30 05:29:41 PDT 2023

It's not working yet, but your suggestions were somewhat helpful,
Akkana.
I got this result:
ll at leno:~$ sudo apt install yt-dlp
yt-dlp is already the newest version (2023.03.04-1~bpo11+1).

That seems to contradict the other output:
> > Available version: stable at 2023.07.06, Current
> > version: stable at 2023.03.04

Even though it didn't solve this issue, it's helpful to know this basic
approach. I played with it a bit. I removed yt-dlp and installed it
again. Being the older version, it didn't update, but it got me a new
bit of basic knowledge. So, thanks to Akkana for that, even though the
initial issue remains.

I'm guessing that there is a newer version, which is necessary to have,
but that the newest version is not available in the apt repository.
This refers to John's postulate: "But it looks like the second machine
used 'apt' to install the package, while the first one was installed by
another means?"

I don't recall how yt-dlp was installed on the len4 machine, where the
update was successful, but I have a vague memory that youtube-dl (and
now yt-dlp) was known to have older versions in apt, which made it
advantageous to install it from a different source. I don't recall what
that source is or how to do that.

Anyone know that?

In gratitude,
LeRoy

--
There is something glorious birthing within all of us.
I am the Love of God, no matter what.BSA