[nmglug] Mtg this week, Apr. 25th, 1730,

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 15:53:29 PDT 2024

NMGLUGers, thank you al for the responses, I want to WINE a little. I am
using wine on an irregular basis to print greeting cards and some other
tacky graphics projects from a W-8 era set of CDs called "Print Artist."
The graphics are not current, they weren't then, but I find them usable. My
first trial with wine did not work. I set up directories and followed
instructions. I eventually found a helper unit, but I do not have that
handy in my human memory. Current wine associated packages are: wine,
wine32:i386, wine32-preloader:i386 and libwine:i386. these are necessary
due to the age (32-bit) of the program I run under wine. The real key item
is called "playonlinux" which is a front end for wine. That 'helper'
package got the kinks ironed out and I have a consistent experience with my
one ancient program. One can actually do similar printing of cards and such
in LibreOffice, but I kept the disks and have the graphics library on hand
with a kind of index. So, take a look at playonlinux, and note that you may
be needing a 32-bit environment for legacy programs. My OS is Debian 12,
64-bit.
I don't recommend units as old as 12 years, but this one in hand had few
scars and a 64-bit processor. It is too hot and slow to use too much, but
may be good to pass on to someone in need. So bring an old laptop, if it is
64-bit and see what can be done; or a 5 year old, multi-core 64-bit unit
that can pack in more ram - that is usually a good place to start. But one
must be able to add ram, a newer disk or ssd. Some of the "thin" books are
too tricky or soldered into a fixed configuration.
Hope to see you on Thursday. Thank you, Ted P