[nmglug] Cooking with wine, Linux email suggestions

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 24 21:39:50 PDT 2024

Hi Ted,

With regard to 'wine' I offer the following in the spirit of "In the
land of the blind the one-eyed man is king".

Probably you're unaware of and missing one or more, perhaps several,
'dependencies' and helper programs and maybe also you need packages to
support both 64-bit and i386 architectures. Depends on both the
particular applications you want to run and your particular flavor of
Linux.  Try the wikis.  If there is not a good one for your
distribution, or maybe even if there is, have a good look at

https://wiki.debian.org/Wine#Optional_Wine_dependencies

and

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Wine .  Be prepared to suffer a little
brain damage.

If you're not sure about anything don't be afraid to try things out.
You're not likely to do any serious harm to your system.  If things
don't work or go haywire, remove the new stuff you installed and delete
the entire .wine directory before you start over.

As you may have gathered, I'm a big fan of MX Linux 'Live USB's. That
is, you have a complete separate Linux operating system on a thumb drive
or SD card.  You can experiment and screw up all you want without ever
placing anything on your computer's hard drive. Moreover, MX has it's
own easy-to-use, tested-and-curated proprietary point-and-click GUI
package management system, 'MX Package Installer', that lists 'wine'
among its offerings. There's a high probability that it will be
adequately configured to run whatever you install under it just fine,
"right out of the box".

'MX Package Installer' also offers 'Virtual Box' under which you may
install 'Windows' and then install the programs you need under that in
lieu of using 'wine'.  You might find that's an easier path to follow on
your way to making a complete transition to Linux.

As for Linux email packages, in my experience, 'Thunderbird' does
everything you can imagine and works just fine.  There's also the
unofficial free desktop client for encrypted Proton Mail, i.e. a
non-webmail version, called 'Electron Mail' that's very easy to use.
That one is a bit confusing to install when you're still new to Linux
(mostly because you must download it from github.)

But there again, however, an MX Linux 'Live USB' might come in handy as
a safe, low-cost and relatively painless sandbox to practice in.

For what it's worth,

Tom