[nmglug] High Mayhem

Josh Gentry jgentry at swcp.com
Thu Nov 18 06:17:12 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 12:48:09AM -0700, js at jasonschaefer.com wrote:
> Josh
>
> Sorry I missed the nmosug meeting. Perhaps John and yourself would like
> to visit nmglug in Santa Fe? We do meet every other Thursday at the SF
> Baking Co. the next meeting is always posted on nmglug.org.

I am definately going to make it someday.

> The High Mayhem music festival streaming went fairly well. The first day
> we had some technical difficulties so we were only able to stream Sat
> and Sun. Once everything was worked out ices2 (client) and icecast
> (server - icecast.org) worked perfectly.

I set Icecast up at home once.  It took me awhile, I must admit, but it
worked well once I figured it out.  I need to try it again now that I
have enough bandwidth to my house that I can try streaming to my brother
in Colorado again :-)

> Of course we were streaming ogg
> vorbis and a few people had issues, mac users in particular (itunes).
> Not many people were interested in the booths. Saturday night we had a
> few people stop by and we burned them Fedora or Knoppix depending on
> their needs. The highlight was streaming live, at the booth, for all to
> hear:-) Even though the booth was not very successful, we did get
> recognition as a group and bring attention to Free software. I still get
> remarks and questions from musicians and fans about our role in the
> festival. It was exciting to work with like minded
> musicians/artists/technicians who recognize the benefits of freedom and
> being "open".

Sounds like you were successful to me, even  if your booth wasn't
mobbed.  Slow and steady.

Josh

--
Josh Gentry