[nmglug] Questions About Dual Booting From A USB Drive

William D. Nystrom wdn at lanl.gov
Tue Apr 5 12:42:38 PDT 2005

On Tue, April 5, 2005 1:29 pm, Tim Emerick said:
> The Linux piece sounds pretty easy.  I would suggest just installing a
> Knoppix based distro as that will detect the different hardware settings
> and
> adjust accordingly.

I've heard of Knoppix but am not familiar with it.  One of the things I'm
wanting to accomplish is to get some experience with different distros and
then choose one.  So far, I've always used RedHat except for my very first
system years ago which was Slackware.  I've not installed Linux now in
several years but am wanting to explore different distros and get
comfortable again doing my own installs and upgrades.

> Windows XP is a little more difficult because the key is based on hardware
> installed on the individual machine.  You could need as many as 3 separate
> installations of WinXP (one for each PC)...that's assuming you're doing
> everything legit.

Each machine that I would be booting from would have a licensed version of
Windows XP so everything should be legit.  I would also need different
installations since each machine would have totally different hardware.

> The data partition I would definitely do Fat32.  That will offer the most
> interoperability between the linux os and the windows os.

Thanks.  Actually, I'm not very Windows literate and so am not sure what
NTFS offers over FAT32 for a Windows system.  I had just heard that there
are problems with Linux and NTFS and was not sure if those problems had
gone away yet.

> Good luck!  Sounds like a heck of a project.

Hopefully, I can just take it a step at a time and it won't get too
overwhelming.

--
Dave Nystrom
LANL X-2