[nmglug] Dirt cheap linux modems

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Wed Oct 25 10:32:33 PDT 2006

Dear Lee,

It looks like many of us are doing the same thing.

I have been collecting computers that people are dumping on freecycle
and setting them up with edubuntu (or dual boot to DSL if they are
really underpowered).  Note that Mepis these days is ubuntu-based.

We should combine forces, and in fact we should start an nmglug
initiative to address this.

If Lee had not written, I would have taken a bit longer to prepare a
note for nmglug outlining some resources based on what is being done
in Portland and other places, but for now let me just say to y'all:

"shall we start an nmglug thrust to refurbish old PCs and give them
out to people?"

I will be sharing some of my thoughts that come from my initial work
on the project.