[nmglug] hard disk usage

Ed Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Fri Jul 13 10:27:51 PDT 2007

BrianO'Keefe wrote:
> "babbling Baobabs of disk usage" reminds me of Spiro Agnew's "Nattering
> Nabobs of Negativity" when he referred to anti Viet Nam war folks.

:-)

> Any ideas
> about the huge Mozilla directory? du says 639MB.

Not sure where you mean.  Mozilla with a capital M does sound like a
program directory.  If you have both Mozilla and Firefox installed,
definitely get rid of mozilla.  But a .mozilla/ in your home directory
can also be used by firefox, and could have multiple Cache/ dirs (from
different users/logins).  Remove everything in them.

> Var is 842MB with the cache directory
> at 340MB.

Very likely dispensable.  Follow it down.  Probably just one app dir
in /var/cache accounts for most of this.  (For me, like I said, it's
usually yum.)  And see where the rest of that is coming from: /var/log
often at fault if you don't have rotation automatically dropping logs
after a week or so.

-ed