[nmglug] dial up

Sam Noble sam at thepromisedlan.org
Wed Aug 20 10:05:58 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 06:03 -0600, akaluta at zianet.com wrote:
> The installed distro does
> not seem to do anything with my dial up modem. Anyone have any head-up
> on
> how to proceed. looked in ls -l /dev found a few things with dial up
> attached. do not find uvdial in programs may be the problem.

I think you're thinking of wvdial. Which is not strictly necessary to
use a modem, but it is one of the easier ways to get dial up working.

> If that is in
> fact the problem that would lead to the question of how to download
> from
> vista and load to Ubuntu.

Shouldn't be a big problem, Just a matter of finding all the packages
you need since you won't have apt to resolve dependencies on the fly.

> Am I on the right track? assume there is no plug and play, any
> comments
> please.

Many USB modems work great these days. I've been buying Zoom and Hayes
(Zoom bought Hayes but they still sell as both brands.) USB modems for a
project at work. They use the cdc_acm driver, but the upshot is you plug
them in and they automagically create /dev/ttyUSBx.

> The second topic,will anyone who is planning to be at the Santa Fe
> meeting
> Thursday be willing to meet and guide me through a dual boot
> vista/debian
> install.

I don't imagine anyone being excited to work with Vista, Dual-booting is
easy-schmeazy though of course as Mars suggests, virtualization is
usually more useful these days.

> I would be comming from Taos for such a  meeting,so if I could firm
> up an arrangement,I,in exchange,subject to a successful install,would
> in
> turn,provied a complimentry dinner at Santa Fe's finest baking
> company,you
> also receive a slap on the back and a hearty handshake. So best
> regards to
> all be well. Anthony K

Sorry Anthony, nobody here works for food! At nmglug we're passionate
about freedom and software, so everyone gets access to our resources,
human and otherwise, in order to answer questions, help solve problems
and keep members informed. So it's all free whether you like it or not,
(exceptions may be made for back-slaps and handshakes, In fact Jason's
been looking like he could use some dorsal-fin beating  :)