[nmglug] ifup eth0

Nick Frost nickf at nickorama.com
Tue Mar 17 21:07:39 PDT 2009

On Mar 17, 2009, at 5:15 PM, akaluta wrote:

> Nick;
> Thank Your for your interest and response,since my last
> communication I
> tried lots of things including pulling out my hair.
> I did finally stumble upon the solution.The wired network plug does
> not
> seat well in the computer jack (RJ45) and must be teased to connect.

Hi Anthony;

Ah! Ok, that makes sense.  I had a similar problem a few years ago
with a machine in Albuquerque.  I couldn't resolve the issue on the
phone and so drove down there to have a look myself. What I did was
take some surgical tweezers (very thin, made in Germany) and re-bent
the affected pin in the network jack such that the intermittent
network problem was resolved.  The 8P8C receptacles usually are good
for thousands of insertions, but I have seen cases where a wire will
pop out of the slot or become bent/recessed in relation to the other
conductors and cause intermittency.  The other option is to install a
fresh NIC in a PCI slot and use that instead; if the physical
interface on the motherboard has deteriorated to the point where it's
causing connectivity problems.   (I assume you tested another Ethernet
cable and made sure it was the computer jack and not the cable itself?)

(I think the last time I saw you was some years ago at the annual
NNMARC dinner at Rancho de Chimayo....before the fire).  See you at a
future LUG gathering and best wishes,

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325