[nmglug] a couple of a/v questions: video remote control, and audio flexibility

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Fri Mar 27 10:32:25 PDT 2009

Amigos, I would like to do a couple of a/v things from my GNU/Linux box.

First of all: the various video players I use (xine, vlc, totem,
mplayer) often mention that they are compatible with remote controls.
I've never used one, so I wonder if there is a very basic remote control
(I presume it uses USB) which costs little and I can just buy here in
town.

Second question: I suspect that there must be many people using USB
audio to run some kind of wireless interface that then plugs in to their
good stereo.  What I'd like to do is have audio originate in my
computer, and be broadcast all over my house (and outside), possibly on
FM, or possibly with a second gadget that receives transmission from the
first gadget and sends it to the stereo via RCA or headphone jacks.