[nmglug] "save the data" fresh install ubuntu 10.10

Eric Krieger grammatoncleric at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 6 08:31:03 PST 2011

Cron is enabled and started by default.   To add or edit cron jobs
there are a number of ways.  Easiest is to drop to the cli and...

crontab -e

Newer releases of Ubuntu will prompt you for which editor you want to
use to edit crontab.   In the old days vi was used.

once you edit crontab run...

crontab -l

to show all the schedule crontab jobs.

if you want to run a cron job as root just edit that users crontab...

sudo crontab -e

Here's a good summary of cron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron

- Eric