[nmglug] "save the data" fresh install ubuntu 10.10

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Thu Jan 6 08:40:11 PST 2011

On 01/06/2011 09:31 AM, Eric Krieger wrote:
> Cron is enabled and started by default.   To add or edit cron jobs
> there are a number of ways.  Easiest is to drop to the cli and...
>
> crontab -e
>
> Newer releases of Ubuntu will prompt you for which editor you want to
> use to edit crontab.   In the old days vi was used.
>
> once you edit crontab run...
>
> crontab -l

If you edit cron and it doesn't use Vi then it might use Nano or some
editor like that.  I doubt it will use ed, but regardless you should
also be able to manually choose your editor from a shell with;

export EDITOR=vi

followed by crontab -e (as per Erik's suggestion) in the shell you are
invoking crontab from.

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325