[nmglug] Linux kernel 3.0

Rob Haag rhaag71 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 14:04:48 PST 2012

Don't get me started on Java (I miss Sun...) :) I know were you stand
though, I develop web apps and now I am thinking about buying a separate
machine to run a LAMP stack (probably with Ubuntu server :) ). That way I
won't have all those 'special' settings to deal with either...at least not
as many. It takes me several days to get my workstation to where I need it
after a fresh install.

The Mint 2d desktop is still pretty nice too, also speaking of Java...Mint
goes straight for Oracle Java and skirts around OpenJDK...although I hope
OpenJDK keeps it up too (more like 'don't get me started on Oracle'). Also,
I am the type who is a 'tech junky' enabler, so I'm always encouraging
people to buy new hardware :) I just got a totally powerful laptop for
$329. I needed a Win machine (gross), but it's a great piece of hardware
for the money. Unfortunately you don't have Micro Center in NM (I came back
to Ohio in July)...but when shopping I noticed that walmart was almost
right in line with prices vs. hardware.