[nmglug] gnome print dialog pops behind

Jason Schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Tue Aug 26 09:19:09 PDT 2014

> I just tried Ctrl-P in Chromium and it does indeed seem to pop under -
> perhaps I never noticed because it is a lot less annoying to me than I am
> guessing it would be to you, given that I use the mouse a lot more compared
> to keyboard use than you do.
> Does it seem to be only 'print' or similar dialogues also?
It happens when they click a javascript print button. I'll try and get
over there for more testing and try and isolate it. Its a LTSP setup at
a Dr office. I don't think it pops under if you use file - print but
don't recall for sure.

> Perhaps the 'always on top' option could somehow be made to recur for the
> print dialogue each time it is summoned? Not really sure of the mechanism
> behind it. Alternatively, you could figure out what rules govern GNOME's
> focus-switching behaviour to try to figure out what is causing the problem,
> perhaps leading to a solution.
Gnome did introduce some pop under functionality many years ago. When I
used gnome, it drove me crazy. I vaguely remember replacing metacity..

> -Arlo James Barnes
>
> *PostScript*: Oh yeah, Jason? Remember how we had to fiddle with alsamixer
> to get the XFCE x30 to switch the audio from headphone jack to speakers? It
> seems even that has stopped working, as now neither seem to work with any
> setting. Either that or I am doing something wrong. Remind me to bring it
> up the Thursday after this coming one (tomorrow) if I do not remember
> myself.

We muted the Mic right? Did you try muting (m toggles mute)? See ya this
thursday!