[nmglug] download troubles

Ted Pomeroy ted.pome at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 15:41:56 PST 2017

To "a", Well, for myself, I refrained from addressing  your question
earlier in the month because I am not a professional. But I am a member of
a club which is not simply a free tech support hotline. We meet and discuss
projects and problems of our own and trends and ideas from the various free
software news fronts.
Are you aware that Adobe Flash is being retired (deprecated)? Have you been
watching for changes on the internet? I do use an Ubuntu flavor, but read
other distro news as well. I often start solving a problem with a search
for "Ubuntu + my issue" to see what others think. Also in the trends today
is the shift to 64-bit hardware and software. If you can get new hardware
by whatever means, that will help. If you want to keep up a hobby machine
on older architecture you will need to work harder. It's like keeping that
beautiful 1950's low rider in shape - you cannot just ask for parts and
solutions anywhere. It gets tricky and there are trade-offs, or losses you
have to accept in an older unit.
By the way, if I am having 4 or 5 issues with an installation and fixes
seem to break the system, I think to myself, "It's time to do a back-up of
my files and start with a new, clean install." Have you considered that
route?  I strongly suggest running a supported version of Ununtu, Debian or
similar operating system. Ubuntu 14.04 is still supported, but not for
long, Ubuntu 16.04 is in good support. If yours is older, I would strongly
recommend a review of hardware and software, plus an immediate attention to
external back up.
While I know this does not answer the specifics, I wanted to reply to let
you know I have read your post.
Thank you, Ted P.