[nmglug] Weirdness

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Mon Apr 22 20:45:42 PDT 2019

Thanks Harold. Responses inserted for ease and clarity. Many thanks again

On 4/22/19 9:23 PM, Harold Furbiter wrote:
> Here is a receipe for boot from an older kernel, and how to set it to
> a default.
>
> If you have a few Kernels in your system you can set manually what
> Kernel version will start:
>
> 1.
>
>     Reboot your PC with pressed Shift button for display GRUB after
>     BIOS will start. You will see something like: GRUB start page
>     <https://i.stack.imgur.com/sSCzp.png>

/I have booted into older kernels or safe mode this way in the pas. Now
I cannot reboot as all that comes up is the them color screen, no login,
nothing. So I have to do a hard shutdown. I do not get a Grub menu
holding down shift key upon starting. I get a flat theme color screen.
Nothing more/

> 1.
>
>     Select "Advanced options for Ubuntu" and memorize index of this
>     menu line(count starts from 0) On the picture index is 1

/Since I can't access Grub menu I can't do any of the following except
edit grub setup file, which I have not done because of above issue/