[nmglug] Bullseye;

Jonathan Haack jonathan at jonathanhaack.com
Thu Aug 19 13:54:26 PDT 2021

Hope everyone is well.  Check hardware support with the new kernel
before upgrading.  I hosed my primary DE because the 5.x kernel does not
yet support the USB 3 cards I have in my tower, which forced me to run
Bullseye with the old kernel ...

Various other things are/were still broken:

1) flatpaks do not work for the two paks I need yet, Telegram and Jitsi,
the latter of which is work important

2) A common file browser from the trisquel project which i used for
years and still fully maintained, called caja, is broken / in an
incomplete state which I found surprisingly debilitating for common use
tasks

3) overall, seemed rushed and early compared to Buster ... slowness,
flickering, a few other rarely used apps also not functioning, etc.

4) I did not even bother to test real stuff like running pspp models or
matlab, etc., but suspect it would be wonky too ...

So, I decided to nuke it and wait for Bullseye to mature a few months
and downgraded my primary desktop.

On the laptop, the installation was atrociously long, required multiple
dpkg commands for failed setup/installs, and after finally installing
everything and getting rid of all errors from the upgrade with dpkg
--configure -a sudo apt autoremove and then a final sudo apt
full-upgrade, it just runs particularly slow (log in to DE is nearly 2
mins long instead of 10 seconds), the fan runs regularly during common
tasks, apps take noticeably long to open compared to before .... and I
am sure I will find more broken stuff later.

I will keep Bullseye on the laptop for now and hope an update/upgrade
cleans it up, if not, not sure - might downgrade it too ...

FINAL REPORT:

Only bleeding edge early birds should migrate imho, the rest of the folk
may want to wait 4 months or so ... I can't imagine the problems with
more serious / production environments.  Bullseye won't be coming
anywhere near my server for some time (6 months? I think), I can assure
you of that ... semester starting, etc., no time to be messing with that
given how bad these were in general and compared to how stretch to
buster was (nearly flawless).

If anyone wants to meet in person tonight, DM me on Signal ... invite in
signature.

Jonathan Haack

*Jonathan Haack*
Haack's Networking