[nmglug] ssh attacks

ABQLUG Events community at abqlug.com
Fri Aug 19 04:50:54 PDT 2022

Hi Aaron,

Since you are using this server at home, I would recommend sticking your
home devices behind a separate (and properly configured) firewall. If
your server gets pwned, you don't want that to spread to the rest of
your devices... Having the server pass traffic to your home devices NOT
a good idea, at all...

As for bypassing UNM's firewall rules. Keeping SSH on 443 w(e)rks, but I
recommend putting OpenVPN on 443 (TCP) or on 53 (UDP) since you can use
HMAC to drop packets from anyone that doesn't present the expected
certificate. Keep in mind that port 53 is typically (not always) rate
limited on most enterprise firewalls.

https://openvpn.net/community-resources/hardening-openvpn-security/

But these days, I recommend just using TailScale to access your devices
at home if you are remote. Especially since you can bypass the most
strictest of NAT rules quite easily. This eliminates the use of port
forwarding (if you don't want to publicly expose your server).

https://tailscale.com/blog/how-tailscale-works/

To upgrade to a newer point release, you would need to run "sudo apt
dist-upgrade" (I believe full-upgrade will do it too, but I haven't
tested it though...)

Sorry it took so long to reply, I suck at life...

~ Jared