[nmglug] Guix

Elais Player elais at fastmail.com
Thu Apr 20 14:31:40 PDT 2023

Hello hello,

I use guix on both my personal desktop and a NAS, though I haven't tried running the Hurd in a vm. That being said I don't believe the Hurd actually runs on bare metal, and iirc it only runs in a vm. Another thing to consider when trying to install guix is that the official channel only supports the linux-libre kernel and I think there's something fundamentally broken that means you will not be able to run linux-libre on an AMD ryzen processor. I've had success running linux-libre on a rockpro64 but I wouldn't recommend that being your first attempt at installing it.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'm no expert but I've used Guix in anger enough to be a guiding hand.