[nmglug] Mtg this week, Apr. 25th, 1730,

Tom Ashcraft trailerdog234 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 24 13:59:53 PDT 2024

Yeah, Hi Ted (et al),

I've sort of had my interests in Linux on the back burner for the last
three or four years as my life circumstances have gone through some
pretty radical changes since moving from Albuquerque to Taos.   Haven't
found much time or energy to study and fiddle with computers of late.
I don't have any real career or professional motivations toward
computers anymore as I'm pretty well totally retired now.   So I've
fallen into a bit of a comfortable but somewhat disengaged computer
rut.   But I've always been a packrat, and often hanker to tinker, so I
still have every laptop I've ever owned.  Also, I usually hate to buy
anything new unless I can convince myself that there's a justifiable
need or some demonstrable economy to be achieved over the long haul.
All of which is to say that at this point my "new" computers are
probably more than five years old and my "old" computers are maybe
twelve?  The comfortable rut is Debian with either Xfce or KDE Plasma
desktop environments on everything, and either a 64GB or 128GB thumb
drive or 128GB SD card "Live USB" backup loaded with MX-21.3 Xfce or
Fluxbox for each.  I do love to have a reliable fallback system directly
at hand in case something goes bad.  For a long time I felt a strong but
rather pointless aesthetic attraction Antix, but these days MX with the
Fluxbox desktop seems to scratch the same itch in a much more gratifying
and less frustrating manner.  It's a real thing of beauty.  I haven't
run Windows on even a virtual machine for more than three years now.

Just felt the urge to blather a little.  The flame is not very bright,
but it still burns...

Tom